Sunday, January 4, 2009

Group #7: Panhandlers that follow you around--at night.


The economy is bad. Everyone knows that. As the economy worsens, you will see more and more people on the street. Here in Los Angeles, the homeless problem is so out of hand, vagrants are almost part of the scenery. There are so many, that their situations burden and overwhelm the non-homeless. Thus, we encounter the moral quagmire of handing money to people on the street.

I learned my lesson my first year in Los Angeles not to give money on the street. I gave a man in a wheelchair five dollars for his "baby who needed formula." I encountered him two weeks later with the same story. And again three weeks after that. Then I wrote a check to a woman who was chased out of my university's church. I told her I wanted to help her, but I do not carry cash (I really don't, for safety reasons). Even as a I wrote her a check on my way to class, she kept insisting I take her to the bank to cash it, or to withdraw cash. I told her I was late for class, so the check will have to do for now. She wouldn't take it.

I do give food if anyone asks and I have some on me. To me, giving food has more meaning than money. Sometimes if I have extra food, I would place it in a non-confrontational place in plain view of several groups of people. That way, whoever is hungry can save face.

Why do panhandlers bother me so much? Because most I have encountered are very aggressive. They corner me and ask for change. They almost yell out to me if I am wearing headphones. They block my path. They creep up behind me in stores and ATMs. They wait for me outside of train stations. They follow me if I say no. They insult me for no reason. They play on the sympathy and/or fear of others for their personal gain. And they are illegally obtaining funds out of people using these methods. If you are approaching me out of the shadows to ask for change, I will not reach for my wallet, I would reach for my mace!

Please do not creep up on me. How do I know you will not mug me? Or that you lack a weapon? Are you targeting me because I am a woman? And don't follow me to see where I am going. It's none of your business and it won't change my mind about giving you change!

Some tell you sob stories in order to play up the emotion factor. One guy even went as far as to complement me on my sense of style and beauty before asking for change. He also blocked the sidewalk so I couldn't just slip off and go about my day. After a long sob story about losing his job, I told him someone asks me for money everyday on my way to and from work. If I gave money to everyone I see in one day, I wouldn't be able to eat. I don't think he was expecting that answer.

The worst ones are those young hippie-looking kids you KNOW are not homeless. Why the hell should I give change to someone wearing Jordans? I can't afford Jordans. If you need a ticket to get to New York, sell your shoes or get a job, punk! Hell, I need a ticket myself. Will you help me out? I don't have any change!
Trust me, I will help the best way I know how, without feeling that my life might be in danger because of some aggressive panhandler who feels he's entitled to my money. If you are hungry, I'll give you a hot meal. If you are cold, I'll find a blanket. If you are lonely, I'll keep you company. But there will always be the rotten apples that ruin people's good intentions for those who really need it.

I just don't believe I am helping anyone by giving money on the street to random people. I now feel it's more harm than good. We are supposed to teach people to fish, not give them fish. Even God helps those who help themselves.

Aggressive Panhandlers: stop ticking me off!

No comments: