Monday, December 22, 2008

Group #6: Rickrollers

They lurk on message boards and internet conversations. They strike when you least expect it. They may even be your brother-in-law. They are the internet pirates known as "rickrollers."

This was funny for four minutes back in March. It was even funny when I accidentally rick-rolled myself in September. It was even funny when someone had enough time to manipulate President-elect Obama's speeches into a rickroll.



Now it's just annoying. They are not as annoying as spammers, trolls, or those people who fall for those chain letter emails that say," you will die tonight unless you send this to 50 people" (look for future groups...). But they are annoying just the same. I'm minding my own business, surfing the internet, talking on some great message boards, when someone provides a link to a great YouTube video pertaining to our discussion. "You gotta watch this," they urge. My curiosity gets the best of me. Click. What a minute. Where does this cheesy 80s music comes from? And why does the singer look like he belongs on Saved by the Bell?



How the hell did I fall for this? Fool me once. On to another site. Ok. Back to normal. Oooh, I would love to see a video about cute puppies! I love dogs! Click.



DAMMIT! What the hell, man!? Where' s the damn puppies? Whatever. Check my email. Looks like my friend sent me an video about Dafur. Click. Oh hell no.


How is that even funny? Those poor people in Dafur. To think someone used their plight to get me to click on a site, so I can look at some singer wearing too much hairgel. This has got to STOP!

Rickrollers: stop ticking me off!!!

No comments: